Sunday, June 14, 2009

Jeff's engagement story


The journey to my marriage proposal to Sarah was a long one, but we finally got there. It began with one leap of faith after college to leave St. Louis and move to Seattle without ever seeing the city before. After this we spent many years figuring ourselves out, figuring out our career paths, and supporting one another through many challenges. While our relationship was typically strong and we always considered ourselves a small family complete with two dogs, the challenge of living in an expensive city far away from our family and friends was overwhelming at times. Eventually we began finding our way and we felt like we were at home here. While we were committed to each other all along, several years later I finally realized it was time to make that commitment permanent.

I began to secretly start shopping for engagement rings, trying my hardest for Sarah not to know what was going on. It was a bit of a nerve-racking experience going into the ring store at first, not really knowing what to do. But my nervous feelings quickly changed to excitement. After picking out the ring, I told Sarah that we needed a real vacation.


After some research I told her that we should take a beach vacation in Laguna Beach, CA in March of 2007. I kept wondering if Sarah knew what was going on. I think she had a hope that this would be when we would get engaged, but I wasn't quite sure. Picking up the ring, hiding it a few days in the house, and then hiding in my carry-on at the airport was another nerve-racking experience. I still wasn't quite sure what I was going to say or where exactly I was going to do this. And then I kept thinking she would discover the ring accidentally before I proposed.

After we arrived we spent a day hanging out in our beautiful room overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Being a bit of an obsessive compulsive person I had to keep secretly checking on the ring, making sure I didn't lose it, and making sure she didn't discover it. It was an interesting feeling trying to hang on to this secret for several days. I just kept wanting to tell her what was up my sleeve, but luckily I was able to keep it to myself. I managed to scope out a really cool rock formation with a natural archway in a secluded area a hundred yards down the beach or so. Finally, on the second night in California we went out to eat, and afterwards I told her we should grab a bottle of wine and a blanket and take a walk on the beach. I pointed out the rock formation and we walked down to it and through the archway, which I suddenly realized was a metaphor for what was about to happen. Just beyond the archway we laid out our blanket and made a toast.


I remember she had a sparkly “Sarah-style” beach dress on. I told her I had a question for her. At that point I knelt down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She was shaking with so much excitement. And thankfully, the girl that I fell so deeply in love with so many years prior back in St. Louis said “Yes!”...

No comments:

Post a Comment